One of the most famous shrines in the Chugoku region, where 600,000 people visit on the first day of the New Year

Hiroshima Gokoku Shrine began in the first year of the Meiji era, when 78 Hiroshima feudal warriors who died in the Boshin War were enshrined at Mizusoreisha in Futaba no Sato. In 1934, it was moved to the west side of the old Municipal Stadium, but it was later destroyed by the atomic bomb, and in 1956 it was rebuilt on the current site of Hiroshima Castle. In 1993, the main shrine and worship hall were rebuilt as a commemorative project, and in June 2009, all other facilities were renovated as a commemorative project for the 130th anniversary of the founding. As a result, Gokoku Shrine was reborn. 600,000 people visit the shrine on the third day of the New Year, making it one of the most prominent shrines in the Chugoku region.The local professional baseball team, the Hiroshima Toyo Carp, visits the shrine every year to pray for victory.

INFORMATION

business hours
[Prayer Reception] From 9:00 to 16:30
address
730-001121-2 Motomachi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima City, Hiroshima Prefecture
Phone Number
082-221-5590
Website
Parking Lot

ACCESS

730-0011 
21-2 Motomachi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima City, Hiroshima Prefecture

From Hiroshima Station, take the Hiroshima Electric Railway train bound for Miyajimaguchi, get off at Kamiyacho Higashi, and walk for 8 minutes. From Hiroshima Bus Center, walk for 8 minutes.

Share this article