The depot resumed repairing vehicles the day after the atomic bombing.
As the war spread, the Sanyo Main Line was tasked with transporting huge amounts of soldiers and military supplies. In order to facilitate vehicle repair, it was decided to establish a locomotive repair shop in Yaga Town, and the Hiroshima Railway Bureau's Hiroshima Engineering Department opened in 1943. On August 6, 1945, the area was 4.25 kilometers from the hypocenter of the bombing. Glass and roof of the main office, a two-story wooden building, were blown off and the ceiling collapsed. The slate roof of the locomotive repair shop (Okenya) was also severely damaged, and some buildings were tilted. The engineering department resumed repairing vehicles the day after the atomic bombing. Because the railroad was in wartime and had a mission to transport munitions, it was restored surprisingly quickly. *The exhibition is only open to the public at the Freight Festival Vehicle Depot, which is held once a year.
- 〒732-00425-1-1 Yaga, Higashi Ward, Hiroshima City, Hiroshima Prefecture
- Parking Lot