This is a course where you can visit historical buildings such as National Treasure Myoo-in Temple, and enjoy the scenery of the port town of Tomonoura from Taichoro. It can be visited in about 4 hours, so it is also recommended for those who don't have much time.
“Walk around Kusado Sengen Village and Tomonoura Port in Shiomachi”
(Main Hall, Five-Storied Pagoda, Shoin, Kuri, Gomado)
It is said that it was founded by Kobo Daishi in 807 (Daido 2).
The main hall (national treasure) is an eclectic style that uses Japanese style as a whole and Chinese style for details, and is the oldest existing building in this style.
The five-storied pagoda (National Treasure) is the fifth oldest pagoda in Japan, and is a beautiful pagoda of pure Japanese-style architecture.
On foot About 10 minutes
Kusado Inari Shrine
It is one of the few ancient shrines of the region where Kobo Daishi, the founder of Myoo-in, served as a guardian.
There is also Kusado Hachiman Shrine in the precincts.
On foot To Nikko-ji Temple in about 5 minutes
Go to the lunch shop
If going directly to Tomonoura from Nikko-ji Temple About 20 minutes by car
Recommended spot ! Local gourmet “sea bream cuisine”
There are many variations of sea bream dishes in Tomo, such as tai zukushi kaiseki, tai chazuke gozen, tai somen...
You can enjoy it at restaurants in Tomonoura. For more information, go to the Fukuyama Tourism and Convention Association site.
Move from the lunch shop Go to Tomonoura Tourist Information Center
On foot About 10 minutes
Fukuzenji Shrine Taichoro
Overlooking the wonderful view of Tomonoura
The place where Sakamoto Ryoma and the Kishu Domain actually held talks during the “Iroha Maru Incident.”
Taichoro was built around 1690, about 320 years ago, as the kyakuden (guest hall) of Fukuzenji, a temple of the Shingon sect.
From the tatami room, you can enjoy a wonderful view of Tomonoura, where Sensuijima and Bentenjima float in the calm Seto Inland Sea.
During the Edo period, Taichoro was used as a guest house for the Joeson Envoy. It was also a place of exchange with Japanese Chinese scholars and calligraphers.
In 1711, the Joseon Diplomat (Li Bangyan) praised the view of this room as “the most beautiful scenic spot east of Joseon.”
You can see the beautiful scenery that has never changed since the Edo period, which fascinated many people.
On foot About 5 minutes
Joyato Stone Lighthouse
The largest still existing lighthouse from the Edo period in Japan
A lighthouse that stands close to the pontoon on the west side of Tomo Port. It is a symbol of Tomonoura.
It is a lighthouse built in 1859 that has guided the entry and exit of ships. It is 5.5 meters high, 11 meters from the top of the underwater foundation to the treasure, and boasts the largest existing nightlight of the Edo period in Japan.
It tells the history of the port of Tomonoura along with the pontoon and the Ship guard station.
Iroha Maru Exhibition Hall
In this Exihibition Hall, you will see a part of the steamboat “Iroha Maru” that Ryoma Sakamoto rode. It was raised and displayed inside a warehouse from the Edo period as it was discovered.
There is also a corner that recreates Ryoma's hidden room discovered in the Ryoma lodging house in Tomo-cho.
What is the Iroha Maru Incident?
In 1867 (Keio 3), “Iroha Maru" was a boat on which Sakamoto Ryoma and other Kaientai ("Maritime Support Force") were aboard. It collided with a ship of the Kishu Domain off Tomonoura, and the “Iroha Maru” sank.
On foot About 1 minute
The Tomonashichikyo Remains, an important cultural property of Japan, and the Otake Residence
It is a valuable building that conveys the prosperity of wealthy merchants who built their fortune with Homeishu (liquor) in the Edo period.
With the main building as the main room, the residence consists of a kitchen, a warehouse, Kamaya, a South Homeishu Sake Brewery, North Homeishi Sake Brewery, East Homeishu Sake Brewery, North storehouse, new warehouse, and their land.
The attached building is a facility for brewing and storing various alcoholic beverages such as Homeishu.
The sight of main houses and storehouses lined up on a large site that occupies almost one block surrounded by roads is spectacular, and it is important as a townhouse that is the center of the historical townscape of Tomo.
The building age ranges from the main house in the middle of the 18th century to the new storehouse in the early 19th century.
On foot About 1 minute
A bay facility that still remains in the historic townscape of Tomonoura.
It is thought that a boat can shore at a stepped pier with stacked stones without being affected by the ebb and flow of the tide. It was built in the Kansei era, and it is still used today. This structure as well tell the history of Tomono Harbor along with the lighthouse.
On foot Go to the Iroha Maru Case Discussion Site in about 2 minutes
On foot To Ryoma lodging Remains in about 3 minutes
car About 30 minutes
JR Fukuyama Station